If you have looked at some of my past posts, you may have noticed a theme. I am really into organizing and storage. So of course I have run into the issue of not having enough drawer space where I want it. The solution? Make your own drawers.
- Flat box (the perks of online shopping)
- Decorative paper (wrapping paper, calendar pages, whatever you’ve got)
- Decorative materials (yarn, twin, ribbon)
- Hot glue gun and glue
- Brown paper bag
- Optional: label, thin cardboard, two small magnets (or adhesive strips), writing utensil
- Cut the top flaps off of the desired box.
- Glue on strips of brown paper bag to smooth the edges. See the Tips page and the full tutorial here.
- Cover the box in paper. If you are short on paper and are just going to put the drawer in a shelf, you can use blank paper on the back or just not cover it since it will not be visible. Likewise, I did not worry about the bottom of the box.
- Hot glue your decorative material where desired. Again, if you are short on material, you can leave the back blank.
- Add a cute label, if desired. To do this, glue your label onto the thin cardboard, cut it out, write whatever, and attach it using the magnets/adhesive strips. You can also just glue or stick it on. I chose to make mine removable, so that I can relabel it and use the drawer for something else I want to in the future.